The butter chicken recipe is delicious and simple to prepare.Butter Chicken, like Chicken Tikka Masala, is a famous curry in Indian restaurants worldwide. One of the best Butter Chicken recipes you’ll ever try! It’s simple to make at home, especially with homemade Naan bread and garlic butter rice.
This article will show you how to make flavorful, creamy, and rich butter chicken at home. Butter chicken, also known as chicken makhani, is a popular and delicious dish enjoyed worldwide.
How to Prepare Butter Chicken recipe in Home?
Follow These Steps to prepare Butter Chicken Recipe:
- Prepare the chicken by marinating it and chilling it.
- Make or buy garam masala powder.
- Puree the tomatoes and cashews in a food processor until smooth. Using a colander, remove the skin and seeds.
- If you don’t have a powerful blender, soak almonds or cashews for 1–2 hours.
- It all depends on what kind of red chili powder you use. A mild chili powder, such as Kashmiri chili powder, is a good choice.
How is Butter chicken made?
- We marinate and then grill the chicken to make authentic butter chicken. Cook in the oven, a pan, or a tandoor.
- After that, cook it in the buttery tomato cashew gravy. Finally, to make it creamy, add some cream.
- Except for the tandoor grilling, the recipe shared here is authentic.
- Not everyone has access to a tandoor or an oven for grilling chicken. So for this post, I did it in a pan. After the chicken has been roasted in a pan, if possible, smoke it.
Marinate the Chicken:
Marinating chicken softens and enhances the flavor. Chicken should be washed and dried. Make sure the chicken isn’t too wet before cooking it.
- Marinade with lemon, chili powder, and salt
- Take a 15–20 minute break.
- Continue marination for the second time. Turmeric and garam masala are great additions to Kasuri methi.
- Marinate for 12 hours and chill. As the meat marinates, it becomes softer and melts in your mouth. There will be no sour yogurt or curd.
- Cook the chicken in the oven or on the grill. Before grilling, preheat the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- On soaked wooden skewers or a greased tray, grill the chicken for 20-30 minutes. In the interim, switch to the undone side.
- For grilling chicken on a Pan. 1 teaspoon butter, fried on high
- Don’t let the food burn or overcook.
- When all of the moisture has evaporated, the chicken is done. Remove from the equation. Sauté until the chunks have turned a light golden color.
Watch to Tutorial to Marinate the Butter Chicken in different way:
Steps to Make Butter Chicken Recipe:
- Marinating chicken results in meat that is flavorful, tender, and succulent.
- The marinade’s yogurt tenderizes the chicken.
- This butter chicken recipe, like Makhani, has no onion. The flavor of onion is added to a dish.
- Cream and cashews (or almonds) give the gravy a rich flavor.
- Prepare and chill the gravy ahead of time. Reheat the sauce while grilling the marinated chicken.
- It’s more delicious with Rice, Chapati with Wine.
The initial marination:
- 2.205 Pound chicken ( boneless Recommend)
- 2 times 3/4 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 times 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 times 1/2 teaspoon paprika or red chili powder
second round of marination:
- 2 time 3/4 teaspoon of Kasuri methi (optional) (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 time 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (Haldi)
- 2 time 1 teaspoon of garam masala (approximately 12 to 34 teaspoons)
- 2 time 1/8 of a tablespoon of oil
- 2 time 1/8 garlic-ginger paste
- 24 cups greek yogurt or hung curd (thick curd, see notes)
- 4 teaspoons. melted butter
- 4 teaspoon garlic-ginger paste
- 4 cinnamon stick (2-inch piece, dalchini)
- 2 to 4 green chilies • 2 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 4 cloves (laung) (slit or sliced, optional)
- 8 large pureed tomatoes (400 to 500 grams)
- 32–36 cashew nuts (blanched) or blanched soaked almonds (refer notes)
- 2 teaspoon paprika or red chili powder (adjust to your preference and color scheme)
- 2 teaspoon of garam masala (approximately 12 to 34 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoons Kasuri methi dried fenugreek leaves, crushed or powdered
- 2 time 1/4 tablespoon sugar.
- salt to taste.
- 160 to 200 ml chilled cream (heavy cream or whipping cream, refer to the notes)
- 4 teaspoons coriander leaves to serve as a garnish
- For 30 minutes, marinate the chicken in lemon juice, chili powder, and salt.
- Rinse and marinate with yogurt, Kasuri methi, and turmeric a second time.
- Refrigerate for 9-12 hours, covered. You have up to 24-48 hours to respond. The longer the chicken sits in the marinade, the more tender it becomes.
- In a blender jar, combine the cashews and tomatoes. To make a puree, combine all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Filter the puree if it isn’t smooth. Remove from the equation.
- Make a paste with garlic and ginger.
Preparing a chicken
- Grill the chicken in the oven or on the stovetop.
- In a pan with 2 teaspoons butter, pour the marinade.
- Cook on high heat until all moisture has evaporated.
- Preheat the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) for 30 minutes before grilling.
- It would help if you grilled it until the meat is tender. The amount of time required depends on the size of your chicken chunks. Check to see if the chicken is tender.
Recipes for Butter Chicken:
- For a minute, saute cinnamon, cloves, and cardamoms in butter.
- Cook until the ginger-garlic paste and green chilies are fragrant.
- After that, there’s the tomato cashew puree.
- Mix in the sugar and salt.
- Cook until the tomato puree thickens, about 10 minutes.
- It also begins to leave the pan’s sides.
- 2 cup of water To taste, adjust the amount of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat for 6–10 minutes.
- Cook for 10 minutes with the chicken.
- Tender butter chicken is ideal. Add garam masala and Kasuri methi and mix well.
- Cook for 4–6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and pour in the chilled cream.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and extra cream if desired. Serve with rice, naan, or paratha as a side dish.
- If you’re using a young chicken, marinating for four hours should suffice. To me, the size of the chicken is significant. Marinate for 13-17 hours if using older chicken. It is required for tender butter chicken.
Curd/yogurt: You can use thick yogurt instead if you don’t have hung curd or Greek yogurt, but the cooking time will be slightly longer.
- Heavy cream, thickened cream, or sterilized cream can all be used.
- You can use low-fat cream, but the gravy will be bland.
- Toss in the cream with the sauce.
- Stop cooking if you don’t want the dressing to split.
- Alternatively, mix a bit of hot gravy into the cream in a separate bowl.
- Mix it up. Then pour in the cream.
- It prevents the curdling of the cream.
- Almonds should be soaked in hot water for an hour before peeling.
- Only 1x alternative quantities are provided on the recipe card.
What’s in butter chicken sauce?
- Butter Chicken is a tender and juicy chicken dish made with a deliciously spiced yogurt marinade. The curry sauce is out of this world!
- I know you all enjoy bold flavors, and nothing beats a delicious curry to unwind after a long day. Simply inhaling the aromas transports you to another world.
- With the ingredient list, making Butter Chicken at home is simple. Every ingredient is within easy reach.
How to make Butter Chicken Sauce?
- It’s all about the sauce in authentic butter chicken. To keep the sauce’s exquisite flavors, all that is required is to add spices to it.
- Cook the tomatoes for 10-15 minutes, or until they are almost dry on the pan, to make a great sauce. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if it dries out too quickly.
- Then blend until smooth and add cream (heavy whipping cream or thickened cream). For a low-calorie option, use evaporated milk or half-and-half.
- If you want a more decadent sauce, add a couple of tablespoons of butter (or Ghee) right before serving.
Watch the Tutorial of Butter Chicken Sauce Recipe in different way:
Butter chicken from scratch?
Butter Chicken is a favorite among young families due to its milder curry than other Indian curries. You can use as much or as little chili as you want. That is, you get to choose the level of spiciness.
As previously stated, the juicy and tender chicken begins with a simple yogurt marinade made with plain yogurt, fresh garlic and ginger, and common spices.
You can use boneless, skinless thighs or breasts. If you prefer, go for dark meat.
- To begin, prepare your yogurt marinade.
- Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or overnight. (The chicken gets tastier the longer it marinates.)
- In a pan, sear the chicken. To make the sauce, keep the charred bits. Browning is synonymous with flavor. You can discard some of the burnt pieces if the pan has too many.
- Make your curry sauce in the same skillet.
Spices for butter chicken?
Garam masala, Tumeric, Cumin, Red Chili Powder, and Salt are all you need to make a fantastic sauce. You might already have some of these in your kitchen cabinets! You’ll use them again if you don’t.
Other Spices for Butter Chicken?
Kashmiri Lal Mirch Spices: Butter chicken gets its vibrant color and name from Kashmiri Lal Mirch, a northern Kashmiri red chile variety. In our local Indian store, but online retailers also have great selections. If you can find it, add a few drops of red food coloring to brighten the dish.
Ginger Garlic Paste: Buy ginger garlic paste from the food store.
Kesari Methi: The unsung hero of this spice symphony is Kasuri methi, a fenugreek leaf variety. It’s used sparingly in the dish, but its earthy flavor balances the spices’ creaminess and depth. It elevates the dish to a new level.
Make A-head Butter Chicken:
- The beauty of this gravy/sauce is that You can make it ahead of time.
- Refrigerate it for up to 48 hours after it has cooled completely.
- Before adding the chicken, let the deep flavors develop and shine.
- Butter Chicken is one of the best Indian recipes to make at home, and this is the BEST butter chicken recipe!
Butter Chicken vs. Chicken Tikka Masala
- Some people mix up butter chicken and tikka masala. Some say they look and taste alike. The main distinction is in the prep.
- More importantly, Butter Chicken recipe is an Indian dish, while Chicken Tikka Masala is British—it’s a national dish!
Authentic Indian Cuisine
- With this recipe, I’ve tried to be as authentic as possible while keeping it simple enough to make for dinner tonight.
- If you don’t have all the marinade spices, use garam masala or even chicken tikka masala spice mix.
- If you can’t find Kashmiri Lal Mirch, use paprika instead, and omit Kasuri Methi altogether if you must (but remember, it is the unsung hero!).
- To save time, I used roasted canned tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes. Canned tomato adds to the dish’s deep red color.
What is Butter Chicken?
Grilled Butter chicken chunks are cooked in a smooth, buttery, creamy tomato-based gravy known as butter chicken or murgh makhani. Kundan Lal Gujral, the owner of the famous Delhi restaurant Moti Mahal, designed it.
- The restaurant had many leftover tandoori chickens, which could make this rich gravy the next day.
- It contains Niacin (vitamin B3), which is essential for fat metabolism.
- It is lean meat rich in nutrients and protein for our muscles.
- In Indian cuisine, Butter Chicken recipe is also known as Murgh Makhani. It is a world-famous chicken curry. You think of it when you think of eating out.
- This non-vegetarian recipe uses leftover tandoori chicken marinated in yogurt, spices, and butter.
- Butter chicken gravy is made with traditional Punjabi spices like coriander, cumin, ginger, and garlic paste.
- The flavor of the sauce used in this famous dish varies by region.
- Using these spices, cooks chicken in the tandoor and adds a creamy and buttery tomato gravy.
- Not all buttery-tomato sauces or gravies are created equal.
- Cook the tomato paste for 15-20 minutes before adding the tandoori chicken to the gravy.
- With naan or kulcha or basmati rice, this delicious chicken butter masala dish.
- You can serve this delicious butter chicken recipe at any party or buffet.
- So, don’t delay making this delightful butter chicken ki recipe!
What is the History of butter chicken?
- Butter chicken (murgh makhani — chicken makhani with butter) is a Northern Indian dish similar to British tikka masala.
- Butter chicken Recipe was Found in the 1950s when it was developed accidentally by the chef of famous restaurant Moti Mahal in Delhi, the capital of India.
- During recipe testing, the chef discovered that we prefer the sauce with Ghee (clarified butter, or a combination of half regular butter and half oil).
- Chef Kundan Lal Gujral frequently uses leftover tandoori chicken, butter, tomatoes, and other ingredients in a pot.
- He had no idea that this dish would make them famous.
- Restaurants worldwide now serve the dish, which is a “special occasion” dish in Indian homes.
Watch the Tutorial to make Butter Chicken Recipe by Jamie & Maunika in a different way: